Mac OSX: Change the keyboard shortcuts for screen capture

I frequently want a screen capture to ad to blogs and documents and dont want tp have to hold down 3 keys to get it. To change your iMac keyboard shortcuts:

  • System Preferences
  • Keyboard
  • Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Screen Shots
  • Click on shortcut to change.
  • Tap the tab key twice so that the shortcut sequence is editable
  • Tap the shortcut key you want (I choose F15 which is in a similar position to the PrtScr button an a Windows Machine)
  • Try it out !!!


I reassign the following:
  • Save picture of the selected are as a file
  • Save picture of selected area to the clipboard


You may also want to: Change the File format for screen capture

3 comments:

Ανατολική Ακτή said...

Fantastic!! Thank you!!!

Melarish said...

What version is this? Yosemite only lets me change it to similarly awkward 3-button shortcuts - is it just me?

Stephen Digby said...

Only seems to allow F5 and F6 to be reprogrammed. Will have a look around to see if the others can be changed from thier defaults (e.g. change F12 from increase volume to screen capture etc.)

This post contains some responses to questions that I have been asked by various people over the last few years. In most cases, I have also posted the information on relevant online community forums such as moodle.org. I hope that you find this useful. Stephen Digby